Friday 19 October 2012

I WISH He Was a Beaver

Yes, I'm talking about Justin Bieber.  It seemed like the entire province got "Bieber Fever" yesterday, even the ones who are normally anti-Bieber.  I for one, was not into it.  It was driving me insane.  Call me crazy for not buying into the whole "ooo it's a pop star in Winnipeg" thing--"let's blow this out of proportion and try to find the kid that's polluting our radio waves and Twitter feeds, snap a picture of him and post it on any social media website that will make people jealous"...please.

That was the thing that really got me going yesterday though.  Almost all of the local media outlets telling the public on Twitter to take a picture of Bieber if they see him and they'll be entered to win a prize pack.  So basically you're giving every girl 17 and under in Winnipeg a reason for them to skip school and find the Biebs?  Not a great call if you ask me.

It was the first time I can remember, that our entire city just went mad for a pop star.  You couldn't flip the radio or television station without hearing his name or seeing his face.  I just didn't get it.  I guess I never really went through the whole teen idol/crush thing in my childhood, but should adults really be condoning this?  Some of these girls are just completely infatuated with him.  You watch footage from his concerts and you see girls dry-heaving from crying so hard.  But don't worry, her mom is there standing beside her, smiling, wearing an "I heart Justin" shirt, and swaying back and forth enjoying the concert she paid $300 per ticket for in the nosebleed section.

Thanks to Twitter, I was even getting updates on the teen heartthrob's trip to Winnipeg.  "OMG just saw Justin's bus in Portage La Prairie..OMG!!!"

Oh well, I guess I just can't and never will catch the "Beav--", "I mean "Bieber Fever".

1 comment: